Importing and Exporting Word Documents in WordPerfect
WordPerfect can open documents created in most versions of Microsoft Word just by selecting the file to be opened as if it were a Wordperfect document. The document will be automatically converted to Wordperfect format although not all of the formatting may be converted properly.
The following font features are either not converted or are converted to a slightly different variant:
- Wave - not converted
- All Caps - converted to Small Caps
- Spacing - small difference may occur due to the differences in the way that the programs calculate spacing.
- Animated Text - not converted
- Kerning - not converted
- Color - Auto color is converted to black except if the background is black in which case it is converted to white.
- Text Animation - not converted
- Text Borders - converted to single underline
- Dash, Dot Dash, and Dot Dot Dash Underline - not converted
The following paragraph features are either not converted or are converted to a slightly different variant:
- Hanging Indent - the different way that the two programs produce a hanging indent will result in slight differences to its appearance.
- Line Spacing - small difference may occur due to the differences in the way that the programs calculate spacing.
- Borders - colour borders do not convert, other borders convert to the nearest equivalent.
- Shading - the nearest equivalent shading will be used.
- Bullets - again these are converted to the nearest equivalent
The following page features are either not converted or are interpreted differently.
- Margins - text will be aligned differently relative to the page margins
- Paper Source - is not converted
- Sections - page breaks are inserted as required but the section definitions are not maintained
The following formatting features are either not converted or are interpreted differently.
- Templates - are not converted
- Footnote Separator Line and Continuation Message - are not converted
- Drawing Objects are converted to equivalent Shapes
- Bookmarks are retained but interpreted differently
- Cross References - are not converted
- Styles are converted to the nearest equivalent
- Index, Table of Authorities, Table of Contents, and Table of Figures depending on how they have been defined may lose some information during the conversion.
- Routing Slip - is not converted
- Manager, Company, Category, Other Fields, and User Defined Fields in the Document Summary are not converted.
- Auto Color in Borders is converted to black
- some languages that Word supports are not supported by Wordperfect
- Date and Time will be converted to the Wordperfect equivalents
- Formulae - are not converted
There are also a number of field commands that either do not convert or convert to the result of the command only.
You can convert your Wordperfect document back into Word format by using the Save As option from the File menu and selecting the appropriate file format from the drop down list at the bottom of the dialog box. Again due to the different ways in which Word and Wordperfect store the information about the file, there will be a conversion process where certain of the formatting information is either not converted or is converted to something slightly different.
For more information select Microsoft Word Help from the Help menu in your copy of WordPerfect
This article written by Stephen Chapman, Felgall Pty Ltd.