Quick Fixes for Computer File Type Issues
A recent computer survey conducted by a respected firm has shown that a staggering majority of computer users are being inconvenienced by the various types of errors that crop up from time to time. It also says that the most common types of errors are file type issues, which users seem to have no clue about.
In this article, we will discuss some important and eternal issues like:
- What are file type errors?
- What are some of the important file types?
- How can we safeguard against these errors?
File type errors
These errors occur for a variety of reasons, and nailing down a single one can be as hard as predicting the weather with 100% accuracy! However, some of the reasons are given below, and if we are lucky, one of them will apply to a large number of cases:
- Corrupt registry.
- Broken filesystem.
- Malware infection.
- Conflicts in programs claiming to run the same file type.
- Unavailability of required application to run the file correctly.
- Wrong platform or hardware for the file.
Types of files
Let us cast a brief glance on the different file types. It is impossible to cover all the file types found on a Windows system because hundreds of new file types are invented almost every day. Let us, therefore, restrict our discussion to three rather unknown, but important file extensions:
- .rnk file type - This file type is related to dial-up connections. True, there are very few users left who still use the dial-up connection, however, their number is still not negligible. This file type is used to work on the dial-up shortcuts and if your internet connection is not well, it will throw an error.
- .psf file type - PSF stands for Palette Storage Format, and is an important file used by Adobe Photoshop for manipulating color patterns and palettes. But note that it is used by the software for its internal purpose only and may not be directly helpful to you.
- .dat file type - The DAT file finds many uses. First of all, it is the format to store data in binary format (strings of 1s and 0s), and is thus used in many games, etc. Secondly, it is a common video format in many DVDs and Windows-related applications and games. This gives rise to a classic case of confusion: is it an abstruse data file or a video?
Dealing with file type errors
Because it is very difficult to tell what is causing a file type error, it can be equally challenging to suggest a sure-fire remedy. However, some simple steps can definitely improve matters in this regard:
- Make sure you have purchased a good registry cleaner and regularly fix all the problems.
- Update your antivirus regularly, and schedule regular scans.
- Check if the file you are trying to open was indeed meant to run on Windows.
It is definitely not rocket science trying to control the errors on your Windows system. Therefore, we urge you to go ahead and try out the steps mentioned above.
This guest article written by James Ricketts