Upgrading the Password Protection Script
My password protection script like any computer program needs to be upgraded on occasion to fix problems with the script and perhaps to add functionality. When you purchase this script you get 12 months of updates included in the purchase price.
Since I first published the script in May 2006 I have applied a number of fixes and enhancements as listed below. The current version number is: 3.0
- Allow setting of local timezone
- Allow one time user setup
- Allow up to four different levels of membership to be defined
- Include user name in admin generated confirmation emails. Allow additional text to be added to the end of join confirmation emails.
- Send email to old email address when email address changed to acknowledge the change.
- Security patches, note that your serial number now needs to be added to the econf.php file to help secure your script.
- Version 2.0 - not as many changes as I'd planned and the script is still more of a toolkit rather than a complete solution but I have added four additional fields to the database which will record the date when a member joined, the date they last logged in and their IP address at the time they joined. There is also an option for an administrator to assign different home pages to different members (which uses the new 'homepage' field).
- Two new pages added joinap.php and approve.php that can be used if you want to require administrator approval for all new members. The regular join.php could then be set for administrator only use.
- Version 3.0 - Script upgraded to use the mysqli interface for greater efficiency (dropped support for PHP4).
The easiest way to implement these changes to your copy of the script is to use the resend option (you will need the item and invoice numbers from your original purchase to request a resend).
This article written by Stephen Chapman, Felgall Pty Ltd.